template-data/logoWelcome to This is Moray

Email: enquiries@thisismoray.com

Mortlach Church

Mortlach Church
Address: Kirktown of Mortlach
Town: Dufftown
County: Moray
Description
The church of Mortlach was dedicated to St. Luag who was also patron of an ancient Celtic monastery in the area. About the year 1000 St. Bean was Abbot of Mortlach, his name surviving in the name Balvenie. The former Free Church united with the old Parish Church in 1934. Glenrinnes, which had become a mission station under the Royal Bounty Committee in 1725 and erected as a Parish quoad sacra in 1865 rejoined Mortlach in 1967. In this year Mortlach and Cabrach were linked. The two ancient parishes of Cabrach and Strathdeveron, having been united by the Commissioners of Teinds in 1665, had two places of worship for many years. Upper Cabrach Church, the former Parish Church, is now used only once a year, Lower Cabrach Church, the former United Free Church, is in more regular use. The Union of Mortlach and Cabrach took place on 21 March 1982.